Here is a brief powerpoint deck on startup metrics from a talk i gave at Supernova called "Product Marketing for Pirates: AARRR!". It's about how to develop a model of your customer behavior, and then use conversion metrics / web analytics to assist your internet marketing & product management efforts.
The basic concept is based on 5 types of measurements of user behavior:
- A: Acquisition - where / what channels do users come from?
- A: Activation - what % have a "happy" initial experience?
- R: Retention - do they come back & re-visit over time?
- R: Referral - do they like it enough to tell their friends?
- R: Revenue - can you monetize any of this behavior?
(... otherwise known as "AARRR!", and thus the "Pirate" designation ;)
i'll post more on this later -- for now, here are a few pretty pictures:
ps - National Talk Like a Pirate Day is September 19... AARRR!